One of the key features of an education at The Grauer School is our renowned Expeditionary Learning program. Students spend at least two weeks each year outside the school walls on an expedition. Expeditions offer valuable opportunities to practice the Grauer Philosophy of resourcefulness, compassion, and humanitarian service, as well as broaden students’ education. Arts, culture, geography, physical and social challenges, community service and student reflection are all parts of the Expeditionary Learning experience.
Expeditionary Learning activities may include hiking, camping, backpacking, diving, climbing, paddling, riding, communing with nature, volunteering, collecting data and folklore, and team building. Finding a way to make a contribution to the area or the travel group is a requirement. Reading, lectures and activities precede the trip, while exams or other closure activities continue the learning after students return.
One-week expeditions take place each fall and spring, and students choose from among several options. At least one middle school trip and one high school trip are included in tuition. Other options may require additional tuition.
Grauer School students have traveled all over the country and the world. Past expeditions have included:
- Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
- Yellowstone National Park
- San Francisco Writer’s Tour
- New Orleans Music Tour
- West Coast Music Tour
- Alaska Exchange with Nanwalek Native American tribe
- Tennessee Music Tour
- China Cultural Exchange, Beijing/Shanghai
- Yosemite National Park
- Guatamala Altiplan Exchange and Stove-Building Project
- West Coast Soul Surfing and Religion Tour
- Guanajuato “Habitat” Home Building Project
- Washington DC Government Trip
- Kona Adventure/Ecology Tour
- Wild West Ranch and Farm Adventure
- Santa Cruz Mountains
- Boston-area Colleges Tour
- Jerusalem – Roots of World Religion
- Colorado Rockies Service and Cross Country Ski Tour
- Joshua Tree Expedition
- New York Colleges Tour
- Point Reyes National Seashore Ecology and Teambuilding
- Boundary Waters Canoe and Ecology Tour
- AstroCamp Astronomy Trip
- Adventures in and around San Diego
- Northern European Artist and Galleries Tour
- Pinnacles National Monument Ecology and Scrambling Tour
- Barcelona foreign language immersion school
Local options are available for students unable to travel. Check out our video below of past expedition locations around the globe.