As one of San Diego’s best college prep schools, The Grauer School’s philosophy is unique but simple – to teach and encourage students to become resourceful and compassionate individuals while succeeding in a college prep environment.
Teach and Encourage
Our learning model fosters nurturing, close tutorial relationships between teachers and students. With a student to teacher ratio of 7:1, teachers know each student’s personality, learning style, strengths, weaknesses and academic objectives. This deep understanding between them results in personal attention and a genuine recognition of their accomplishments. Students get the support and monitoring they need, and their input is crucial in setting and achieving academic goals that allow them to distinguish themselves in a way that commands the attention of college admissions officers.
One of the primary tenets of The Grauer School is to develop resourcefulness in our students. Ours is a community-based school, emphasizing real-world projects to make the curriculum come alive. While our resource-based model relies on textbooks to provide standard content, students learn to view our community as a primary resource which they use to generate knowledge; coming to their own conclusions while integrating texts with experiences makes learning authentic. Grauer’s unique Expeditionary Learning program is community learning at its best. We also encourage independent study at the university level, foreign travel, and student foreign exchange.
To become compassionate community members, The Grauer School students and teachers participate in community service projects together throughout the year. Compassion is developed in the following ways:
- Through ecological and humanitarian service by all teachers and students.
- Through mutual teacher and student performance evaluations daily.
- In small classes where teacher/student relationships are fundamental.
- Through teaching methodologies which honor individual learning styles, and allowing students to work on that which has individual meaning.
- By fostering and honoring personal motivation in each student.
- By creating a positive academic environment where students’ efforts and attitudes help them achieve personal goals.
Nurturing leadership, creativity, and the arts in a compassionate, college-preparatory environment.